Best Camping Foods For A Family Getaway
No matter what types of fun activities you plan for a Summer camping getaway, food always seems to be the highlight. There are a few essentials that you will want to include to ensure a memorable experience. Smores, hobo pies and kabobs are a few items that come to mind. I have several fun recipes ranging from the traditional to some unexpected delights.
To start, I love this idea from Tiny Prints for making smore gift bags. If you are taking a group of kids camping, this would be a great party favor. The bag includes all of the traditional makings for the famous smore.
I like to play around and tweak recipes to come up with a custom blend to my liking. With smores the different possibilities are endless. Since Kraft marshmallows come in different flavors such as chocolate, strawberry and even toasted coconut, I figure you can try several toasting options and even change the traditional Hershey bar to another type of candy. And, why not use a chocolate graham cracker in place of the original?
Here are some combinations that I have come up with:
- toasted coconut marshmallow, bite size Mounds or Almond Joy candy bar, and a chocolate graham cracker
- chocolate marshmallow, bite size Reeses Peanut Butter Cup, and a chocolate graham cracker
- chocolate marshmallow, 4 square of a Hershey bar, and a chocolate graham cracker
- strawberry marshmallow, Hershey bar, and a regular graham cracker
Depending on your flavor preferences, you can come up with your own custom blend.
Another classic treat would be the hobo pie. All you need to purchase is a hobo pie iron which is widely available at any store that sells camping supplies. To make a pie, you just butter two slices of bread and place them butter side down in the iron. Place a filling in the middle, close the pie iron and place in the campfire for about four minutes. The recipe you choose is as versatile as the smore ideas.
Here are a few that I have come up with:
- 2 slices of Pepperidge Farm cinnamon bread filled with apple pie filling
- Italian bread filled with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni
- White bread filled with peanut butter and marshmallow creme
- English muffin bread filled with smoked Gouda cheese
Simply pick your favorite bread and complimentary filling and go wild!
Finally, anything on a stick just seems to taste better when camping. Skewer a bamboo kabob stick, that has been soaked in water, with your favorite meats and vegetables. For a little extra zest, marinade the kabobs with Italian dressing, teriyake or barbecue sauce.
Meats such as chicken breast chunks, steak or shrimp are real good. You can even wrap any of the meat in bacon for some extra goodness. Kids may like hot dog or brat slices.
Some great vegetables are cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, green and red bell peppers, onions and red skinned potatoes. Don’t limit yourself to just vegetables though. Pineapple is real good, especially when combined with chicken or shrimp and a teriyaki sauce.