Gifts From The Kitchen: Canning Peppers, Pickles and Relishes
I love having canned peppers on hand to put in chili, Mexican foods or any recipe requiring a little kick. Pickles and relishes are nice condiments to have on hand as well since they can accompany most any meal. These are items that most people can use and would be happy to receive. Since canned goods look so pleasing in their glass jars, especially when topped with a square of fabric or burlap tied with raffia, they can make for some very nice gifts.
The following recipes are some favorites that should be sure to please:
Hot Wax Peppers Recipe:
- A majority of yellow wax peppers with some orange and red Habanero chili peppers thrown in
- one quart vinegar
- one quart water
- three cups sugar
- one Tablespoon vegetable oil (per jar)
- two cloves of garlic (per jar)
- Cut peppers into rings and pack into hot jars.
- Add to each jar one tablespoon vegetable oil and two cloves of garlic.
- Boil vinegar, water and sugar for two to three minutes and fill jars; seal
Bread and Butter Pickles:
- 16 cups sliced, unpeeled medium cucumbers
- 6 medium white onions, sliced (6 cups)
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, scored
- 1/3 cup pickling salt
- cracked ice
- 5 cups sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
Combine cucumber, onion, green pepper, and whole garlic cloves. Add salt; cover with cracked ice. Mix thoroughly. Let stand for three hours; drain well. Discard garlic. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over cucumber mixture. Bring to boiling. Fill hot, clean pint jars with vegetables and liquid, leaving 1/2-inch head-space. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath five minutes for pints. (Start timing when water returns to boiling.) Makes eight pints.
Sweet Frankfurter Relish:
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
Put carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, and onion through a coarse blade of a food grinder. Drain the excess liquid. In a large saucepan mix the vegetables, sugar, vinegar, salt and cayenne pepper. Tie pickling spices in a cheesecloth bag and add it to the saucepan. Bring to boiling. Cook over medium-high heat for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove spice bag. Pour into hot, clean half pint jars leaving a 1/2 inch head-space. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water for five minutes. (Start timing when water returns to a boil.) Makes two half pints.