Crock Pot Corned Beef Brisket & Cabbage Dinner
Making corned beef brisket in a crock pot ensures a nice tender and juicy meat. I have to wonder why I don’t make this dinner more often. This is a recipe that is normally pulled out especially for St. Patrick’s Day. It is so yummy that I am now vowing to make it at least a few times a year, if not more. I do want to keep it special though.
Traditionally, this type of dinner is made as a boiled dinner. However, I love to use my crock pot whenever I can for ease and timing. The following recipe is easy and so very tasty!
- about a four pound corned beef brisket – I buy a brisket that comes with a small pack of seasoning, if this is not included you may want to add a teaspoon of peppercorns
- one head of cabbage, cut in wedges
- half a package of baby carrots
- one vidalia onion, cut in wedges
- 4-5 red skin potatoes, chopped
- two teaspoons salt
- two bay leaves
- one teaspoon dried thyme
1. Rinse brisket under water to remove the surface brine. Place it in the crock pot and add enough water to cover. Add the package of peppercorns, salt, thyme and bay leaves. Set the crock pot setting on high and let simmer for about four hours.
2. Add potatoes, carrots, and onion. Continue cooking for another two hours.
3. Add cabbage and cook for about one more hour.
4. With a slotted spoon, remove the brisket and let it set on a platter to cool just a little bit.
5. Remove the vegetables and place in another platter or bowl.
6. After the corned beef has set for about five minutes, it should be ready to slice. Cut in thin slices and place on a platter or serving plates.
Since I liked the corned beef so much, I went searching for more recipes. I found a great recipe for barbecued brisket which we will definitely be trying, especially when we are up at the cabin during grilling season. The following fun video gives complete instructions that are easy to follow: