I have tried quite a few different carrot cake recipes and I have tweaked a little here and there until I came up with my favorite. The cake should be nice and moist but definitely not too heavy. It should be full of rich flavorful spices to delight all of the senses. And, I like a cream cheese frosting the best that is a firm enough texture to drape in a decorative fashion. You can make the cake in either a 9×13 inch pan, two 8×8 inch pans, or my favorite – a Bundt pan. The Bundt pan gives the most decorative result.
Carrot Cake Recipe:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about three medium sized carrots) **shred in food processor or blender
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix four, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt with a spoon.
3. In a small bowl, beat eggs slightly with a fork and then stir in oil and vanilla extract. Stir the egg mixture, shredded carrots, walnuts, and applesauce into flour mixture just until flour is moistened.
4. Spoon batter into pan, spreading evenly. Bake one hour 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for ten minutes.
5. With a spatula, loosen cake from edge of pan; invert onto wire rack or plate to cool completely.
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Sift the powdered sugar to remove any lumps. Cream together all of the ingredients in a mixer starting a low speed and working up to medium speed. Stop mixing as soon as you reach a nice creamy state. Overmixing can cause the frosting to break apart or to become too soft.
Spread the frosting on the cooled cake, draping the sides of the frosting down in a lace design.