Healthy Banana Bread Recipe With Lots Of Flavor
Baked goods are wonderful to have on hand but if they are healthy as well, then it is like frosting on a cake – almost. This banana bread recipe is not only healthy but it is packed with flavor and moisture.
There are a few key ingredients that make this bread healthier than a traditional banana bread recipe. First it uses buttermilk instead of regular milk. Buttermilk is lower in fat, does not contain butter - like the name sounds, is easier to digest and is high in potassium, vitamin B12 and calcium. Instead of using vegetable oil, applesauce is used. And, for added protein and anti-oxidants pecans are added which help to lower cholesterol.
I add a sugar topping to the top of mine which takes away from the healthiness just a little bit but that is totally optional. My family loves the crunchy top.
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe:
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- two ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray one 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick butter coating spray.
- With mixer, blend together eggs, buttermilk, applesauce, bananas and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the sugars, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to banana mixture and stir in the pecans, mixing well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over batter and press lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for one hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
**I threw in an extra banana once because I had it—not a good idea. It made the bread too moist and it had too much of a banana flavor for my liking.