When I think about the cabin in Winter, I think about being snowed in with lots of wonderful steamy comfort foods simmering all day long in the crock pot. After a day of snowmobiling or cross country skiing there is nothing better than coming in to a nice hot meal by a warm wood stove fire. Try one of these stew recipes, the next time you have cabin fever, for a warm comfort that will be sure to satisfy.
Yummy Beef Stew:
- 2 lbs lean beef stew meat
- 6 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 – 14 oz can ready to serve beef broth
- Layer half each of the beef, potatoes and onions in a 3 1/2 to 6 quart crock pot. Sprinkle with half each of the salt, pepper and thyme. Repeat layers and sprinkle remaining seasonings. Pour broth over top.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or high setting for 3 to 5 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- 2 pounds venison, cut into one inch pieces
- two medium onions, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 pound small red potatotes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium apples, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 – 10 1/2 oz. can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Layer venison, onions, potatoes, apples and bay leaf in a crock pot. Mix wine , Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, pepper and garlic, pour into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or until venison is tender.
- Mix flour and water; stir into venison mixture. Cover and cook on high heat setting for about 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove bay leaf.
Check out this great Texas chili recipe done on a grill. This is great to try during that first Winter thaw.