Vintage Craft: A Wooden Bobbin Turned Vase
On a recent shopping trip to an antique mall, I collected several different styles of antique bobbins. I just love the primitive look! I have seen these larger ones used for candle holders, which is something I might do with a pair of them, but I wanted to try something a little different for this one.
I have been wanting to make use of some more of my vintage sheet music and decided right away that whatever I made it would be decorated with sheet music.
Since the bobbin has a nice size hole going all the way through the cylinder, I figured it would be great to use as a small vase. I wouldn’t even have to close up the bottom because the hole was small enough to hole my arrangement tightly! Obviously, I would only use branches and dried florals for this!
Here are all of the materials that I used:
- vintage wooden industrial bobbin
- vintage sheet music
- spray adhesive
- decorative ribbon
- birch branches
- dried florals
- white paint
- tacky glue
- Mod Podge decoupage
- soft paint brush
1. First, I cut the sheet music to fit around the bobbin with just a slight overlap. Then I sprayed the back with spray adhesive and attached it carefully to the bobbin.
2. Then, I applied a coat of Mod Podge decoupage, with a soft paint brush, to the paper to protect and seal it to the wood. I used a matte finish. I let this dry for about a half hour before continuing project.
3. I cut two sections of ribbon to fit around the top and bottom edge of the sheet music and glued them in place with tacky glue. I then tied a section of white ribbon that I had around the middle for some extra flair.
4. Since I wanted to keep a cream and white color shabby chic color scheme going on, I decided to paint my birch branches cream, leaving just a touch of the natural color peaking through in spots. I also added a touch of cream paint around the opening of the bobbin to highlight it. When the branches were dry, I just stuck them through the opening with my other floral picks.
This project was shared at the following link parties: