Potato salad is a popular dish to serve at a summer barbecue or picnic and the recipe can be varied in so many ways. Whether you use baking potatoes or redskins or serve it hot or cold, this comfort food is always a hit. I have a couple of favorite recipes that I use and I have also found some new ones that look to be delicious.
My favorite recipe uses redskin potatoes and I also found a great looking hot German potato salad with a special ingredient that makes it a meal in itself. Two more recipes that I am including are for a bacon ranch potato salad and also a Santa Fe potato salad for a little extra spice!
Try one of these at your next gathering but don’t expect to take any leftovers home!
Redskin Potato Salad Recipe:
- 2 pounds new red potatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 hard cooked eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- about 1 tablespoon olive juice (more or less to taste)
- 1/3 cup sliced green olives
- salt and pepper to taste
Scrub the potatoes and cut into large pieces without peeling. Place in a saucepan and cover with salted water. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl and let cool. Add the celery, onion, eggs, and olives to the potatoes and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I love the olives in this recipe but if you don’t like olives you can substitute the olive juice and sliced olives for 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar.
Hot German Potatoes and Bratwurst Recipe:
- 4 to 5 large red-skinned potatoes
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 4 bratwurst
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Cover the potatoes with water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender, about 25 -30 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, and cut into slices. Place the slices into a large heatproof bowl. Fry the bacon in a medium saucepan over medium heat until almost crisp. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Mix in the flour, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the vinegar, broth, and celery seeds. Cook, stirring often, until thickened.
Meanwhile, heat the bratwurst according to package directions. Cut each into 6 to 8 diagonal slices. Add the bratwurst to the potato mixture. Pour the sauce over and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve warm.
Bacon Ranch Potato Salad Recipe:
- 3 pounds new potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/4 cup Ranch dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thin red bell pepper strips
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
Cover potatoes with water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer until tender, drain and cool. Mix dressings and seasonings in a large bowl until well blended. Add potatoes and remaining ingredients; mix well.
Santa Fe Potato Salad Recipe:
- 6 medium white potatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 – 7 ounce can of whole kernel corn, drained
- 2/3 cup sliced celery
- 2/3 cup shredded carrot
- 2/3 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 2 – 2 1/4 ounce cans sliced ripe black olives, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tomatoes cut in wedges
In a large saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water to cover until tender, about 40 minutes; drain and cool slightly. Cut potatoes into cubes. In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar and taco seasoning mix. Add to warm potatoes and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. Gently fold in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.