With the warmer weather, I’m thinking about summer grilling. A favorite entree to make is, of course, burgers on the grill so I researched and found some great burger recipes.
My first recipe is actually a recipe for meatloaf but it has such a great fresh flavor that I thought it would be perfect in the form of a burger. It also has a some zip from the little bit of horseradish sauce.
Zippy Burger Recipe: (can also be made into meatloaf)
- 2 – .9 OZ slices of light oatmeal bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon low sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepard horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Combine bread cubes, catsup and egg in a large bowl and let stand for about five minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Shape the mixture into patties and place on the grill.
If you like blue cheese, you will love this next recipe!
Blue Cheese Burgers:
- 1 1/4 lb ground lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dryed thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
Combine ground beef, onion, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and mix lightly. Shape the mixture into eight patties. Place one ounce of cheese in the center of four of the patties to within 1/2 inch of the outer edge. Top with the remaining four patties and press the edges together to seal. Grill for about eight minutes or to desired doneness, turning once.
For a little Mexican flavor, this next recipe fits the bill.
Southwest Pesto Burgers:
- 1 large garlic clove
- 4 ounces fresh cilantro, stems removed and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Pesto, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
With a food processor, drop garlic through feed tube and process until minced. Add cilantro, jalapeno pepper and salt and process until cilantro is chopped. Slowly add oil, through feed tube, and process until a thick paste forms. Transfer to a container with a tight fitting lid. You can store this for up to three weeks in your refrigerator.
Combine ground beef, 1/4 cup pesto and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Form into four patties. Place patties on grill and cook uncovered for about four to five minutes per side. Add cheese to top of patties during last one minute of grilling. While patties are cooking, combine mayonnaise and remaining 1 tablespoon of pesto in a small bowl, mixing well. Top patties with the mayonnaise mixture. Serve on rolls with avocado and salsa.
I recently tried a turkey burger at one of my favorite restaurants and was surprised at how tasty it was. This recipe is a great alternative to beef.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 thin slices of Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and cut into rings
Combine all ingredients except for the cheese and pepper rings in a large bowl. Shape into four patties. Place patties on an oiled grid and grill over high heat for about 15 minutes, turning once. To[ burgers with cheese during last few minutes of grilling. Grill the pepper rings for about two minutes. To serve, place burgers on buns and top with pepper rings.
I absolutely love Brie and this next burger recipe is sure to be one of the best.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 5 tablespoons steak sauce, divided
- 3 ounces Brie, cut into four slices
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 medium size red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch rings
In a medium bowl, combine the beef and 3 tablespoons of the steak sauce. Shape into eight thin patties. Place one slice of Brie in the center of four of the patties. Top with remaining patties and seal the edges. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, the remaining 2 tablespoons of steak sauce and green onion. Grill burgers over medium heat about 7 minutes on each side. Place pepper rings on grill and cook with burgers until tender. Serve on a bun with radicchio leaf, pepper ring and 2 tablespoons of the sauce.
Finally, for a meatless burger choice, you may enjoy this veggie burger recipe.
Curried Walnut Grain Burgers:
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/3 cups cooked couscous or brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 1/3 cup fine, dry plain bread crumbs
- 4 sesame seed buns
- honey mustard
- thinly sliced cucumber
- alfalfa sprouts
Combine eggs, yogurt, Worcestershire sauce, curry powder, salt and red pepper in a large bowl and beat until blended. Stir in couscous, walnuts, carrot, green onions and bread crumbs. Shape into four patties. Coat grill with cooking spray and grill burgers over medium heat for five to six minutes per side. Serve on buns with mustard, cucumber and sprouts.
Now you can enjoy grilling this summer with some of the best burger recipes I could find!