Before you throw anything out, you may want to give it a second look. Could that item be used for something else? There are so many ways to repurpose old things into new items that you may not have considered. I have put together a collection of 50 unique and creative ways to repurpose your old stuff.
A Collection Of Ways To Repurpose
1. Turn An Old Cutting Board Into A Rustic Spice Rack
SOURCE: Country Living
If your cutting board is getting to old to actually use, then turn it into a rustic spice holder. This is a great way to repurpose old crates as well.
2. Turn Baby Food Jars Into A Chic Chandelier
SOURCE: Mother Earth Living
Whether you have baby food jars or another type of small jar, they can be used to make a pretty candle chandelier.
3. Repurpose Mason Jars Into Wine Glasses
SOURCE: Krafting With K
Mason jars are great to repurpose as well. A fun wineglass can be a better way to use a mason jar.
4. Repurpose Tins Into Decorative Storage Containers
TUTORIAL: Mod Podge Rocks
Old Christmas tins can be transformed into decorative storage containers using fabric and Mod Podge. For a more rustic look, try covering the tins in twine.
5. Transform An Old Book Into A Pretty Luminary
TUTORIAL: Refab Diaries
Old books can be made into so many things. This book page luminary is just one pretty example.
6. Make A Vinyl Record Side Table
TUTORIAL: The Flourishing Abode
This side table project actually repurposes an old vinyl record and a planter stand. Two repurposes in one!
7. Repurpose A Dress Shirt Into a Decorative Pillow
SOURCE: Whole Living
Why buy new fabric to make a pillow when you can easily repurpose an old dress shirt?
8. Make Chic Coasters Out Of Old CD’s
TUTORIAL: Crafts By Amanda
Old cd’s and dvd’s don’t have to be thrown out when they can be made into chic coasters like these.
9. Repurpose CD’s Into Playing Card Holders
SOURCE: Thrifty Fun
You can also repurpose cd’s into fun playing card holders.
10. Make Decorative Key Chains Out Of Wine Corks
It’s always a good idea to save wine corks for wine cork crafts. This keychain craft is just one example.
TUTORIAL: How To Make Wine Cork Keychains
11. Crochet A Rug From Repurposed T-shirts
TUTORIAL: 1 Dog Woof
If you have enough old t-shirts, you can crochet yourself a nice rug.
12. Make A Desk Organizer From Recycled Soda Bottles
Soda bottle bottoms are the perfect size for storing small items. This desk organizer was made from repurposed soda bottles.
13. Use Tin Cans For Decorative Storage
Tin cans are also perfect for storing small items. When they are decorated, they look great on a desk or a shelf.
TUTORIAL: How to repurpose cans for decorative storage
14. Transform A Vintage Suitcase Into A Fun Table
SOURCE: The Art Of Doing Stuff
There are so many ways to use vintage suitcases in decorating. However, this bedside table is a favorite way to repurpose a suitcase.
15. Decorate Objects With Credit Cards Or Hotel Keys
An assortment of colorful credit cards is a great way to decorate something like a birdhouse roof.
TUTORIAL: How To Decorate A Bird House With Credit Cards
16. Make Napkin Rings Out Of Paper Tubes
Create napkin rings that coordinate with your table by wrapping fabric around a toilet paper tube.
TUTORIAL: How to make napkin rings out of toilet paper rolls
17. Turn A Dress Mannequin Into A Shelving Unit
SOURCE: Artifacts By Janie
This is such a fun idea for a shelving unit, especially in a sewing room!
18. Make A Magazine Holder Out Of A Cereal Box
If you are looking for a place to store papers or magazines, just repurpose a cereal box!
TUTORIAL: Make a paper holder out of a cereal box
19. Use Scrabble Letters To Make Unique Coasters
TUTORIAL: Intimate Weddings
Coasters made from Scrabble letters are unique and can be personalized.
20. Make A Bowl From A Vinyl Record
TUTORIAL: Thrifty Fun
Another way to repurpose a vinyl record is to make one into a bowl.
21. Use Scrap Fabric To Make Colorful Bowl Fillers
If you are a sewer, fabric scraps can accumulate quickly. Use them to make some colorful balls for a bowl filler.
22. Repurpose Bottle Caps Into Magnets
There are so many different bottle cap crafts! One of the fun ways to repurpose them is by making magnets.
TUTORIAL: Make a magnet board and magnets
23. Keep Business Cards Organized In A Mint Container
A mint container is the perfect size to hold business cards.
24. Decorate A Picture Frame With Magazine Pages
Since magazine pages can be so colorful, they are great to use in decorating a picture frame.
25. Make A Planter Out Of A Shoe Box And Chopsticks
TUTORIAL: What Else Michelle
I love the ways to repurpose with more than one item. This planter is made from a shoe box and chopsticks.
26. Combine Mismatched Dishes To Make Fun Pedestals
SOURCE: Martha Stewart
Pedestal trays add height and interest. These are made from mismatched dishes.
27. Use Old Clothes To Make A Patchwork Throw
SOURCE: Martha Stewart
Sometimes old clothes aren’t even good enough to donate. Use them instead to make a patchwork throw.
28. Repurpose A Cutting Board Into A Clock
SOURCE: Country Living
A cutting board can be made into a unique clock.
29. Turn A DVD Case Into A Fly Box For Fishing
Sometimes a repurposed DVD case can be better used for fishing!
TUTORIAL: How to make a fly case out of a dvd case
30. Make A Mason Jar Soap Dispenser
Mason jars make great gift items when they are turned into soap dispensers.
TUTORIAL: How to make mason jar soap dispensers
31. Make Gilded Vases From Mason Jars
TUTORIAL: Country Living
You can also make pretty gilded vases out of mason jars.
32. Make Lanterns Out Of Radiator Sheets
SOURCE: Ruffled Blog
Simple radiator sheets make such pretty lanterns.
33. Turn A Mason Jar Into A Wall Planter
SOURCE: Not Just A Housewife
There are countless ways to repurpose mason jars. This wall planter is another great idea.
34. Repurpose A Kitchen Sifter Into A Pendant Light
An old sifter can still be used as a rustic industrial pendant light.
TUTORIAL: How to make a pendant light out of a kitchen sifter
35. Make A Mosaic Picture Frame With Credit Cards
TUTORIAL: Craft Stylish
It’s easy to create mosaics with cut up credit cards.
36. Decorate A Candle Holder With Buttons
A plain candle holder gets a pretty makeover when it is dressed with buttons.
37. Make Fingerless Gloves From Sweater Sleeves
TUTORIAL: Foothill Home Companion
These fingerless gloves are a perfect old sweater craft.
38. Turn Toilet Paper Tubes Into Scissor Holders
TUTORIAL: Crissy Crafts
Whenever toilet paper rolls are covered in fabirc, they get instant class! This craft room organizer is another great example.
39. Craft A Basket Out Of Newspaper
TUTORIAL: How About Orange
A throw away item like a newspaper can get a second life as a basket.
40. Repurpose Plumbers Pipe Into A Pot Rack
There are so many ways to repurpose common plumbers pipe. A pot rack is one great idea.
41. Make A Lantern Out Of A Cereal Box
TUTORIAL: Choose To Thrive
Would you believe that this cute lantern is made from a cereal box?
42. Turn A Drinking Glass Into A Pencil Holder
A mismatched drinking glass may seem like a throw away item. However, it can be repurposed into a decorative pencil holder.
TUTORIAL: How to turn a drinking glass into a decorative pencil holder
43. Make A Fun Bowl Out Of Clothespins
TUTORIAL: The Art Of Doing Stuff
Who would have thought that you can create such a nice bowl out of clothespins!
44. Decorate Accessories With Duct Tape
TUTORIAL: House Of Hepworths
Because duct tape is already sticky, it’s easy to apply to your favorite accessories.
45. Turn Light Bulbs Into Bud Vases
SOURCE: Care 2
Light bulbs make such delicate bud vases.
46. Create Hooks From Old Silverware
SOURCE: Create Love Grow
Turn old pieces of silverware into decorative hooks.
47. Turn Folding Chairs Into Closet Storage
To create instant closet space, simply hang a couple of folding chairs on the wall. You get shelf and hanging space.
48. Turn A TV Into A Fish Tank
SOURCE: Aqua Hobby
Because old TVs can be hard to get rid of, it helps to come up with a new use. Turning one into a fish tank is super unique.
49. Make A Couch Out Of A Clawfoot Bathtub
This is such a fun couch made from a clawfoot tub. We were actually going to do a project like this with the tub that came out of our renovation home. However, unfortunately the tub was stolen.
50. Turn A Broken Picture Frame Into A Jewelry Holder
TUTORIAL: Kevin and Amanda
All is not lost if you break a picture frame. You can still use it as a functional earring holder.
there were several items I would like to try , these are not cheesy looking but look worth the effort.
Great ideas. I’m always looking for new ways to use old items. Recycle!